6/21/13

Same Song, Different Meaning.

This may seem weird, but when I was about seven years old, Johnny Cash scared me to death. He just looked kinda...creepy. I never thought I would enjoy one of his songs, and in a way I didn't for a while. Because this isn't actually his song. You've probably heard it before, it's called Hurt. The original version is by Nine Inch Nails. I love this song because it seems like it has two different meanings depending on who's singing it. Both songs are about depression, but from different view points. The Nine Inch Nails version sounds a bit creepier because it is. Their version sounds like a man who is depressed and is cutting himself and considering suicide. That's where the main line, "I will make you hurt," comes in. He'll find a way to make you miss him, somehow. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prDoGmY5kj8
Johnny Cash seems to have a different take on it. His version is a little faster with guitar and piano as the main instruments. With him, it sounds like an old man who's full of regret. Especially the line, " try to kill it all away, but I remember everything." Check out his version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ahHWROn8M0
Which one do you like better? Is there a cover song that you'd like to see on here? Let us know in the comments!!! Also, don't forget to vote in the poll this week.
Until next time, roll the Mellow Dice and hope for Midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment