6/14/13

Where Did Mellow Dice Come From?

When I first came up with the idea for Mellow Dice, it wasn't called Mellow Dice. In fact, it wasn't called anything at all. It was simply, "the music blog." I asked around to see what I should call it. First suggestion was Musical Musings. That was already taken. Next was Music Evaluations. Didn't really like that one. I decided that I wanted the word Melodic somewhere in there. After that I found one of my favorite words ever. "Euphoria." It describes being in a state of complete happiness that is caused by an exciting event, or by getting high. So I came up with the name Melodic Euphoria. But that wasn't the end. I was typing in the name for the URL and it came up as melodiceuphoria.blogger.com. Can you see it yet? I misread it and thought it said Mellow Dice. At first I thought it was just a funny misunderstanding, but then I started to think about it. The words Mellow and Euphoria seem to contrast in a pleasant way. (Kinda like Jared's post yesterday.) Ironically, I had also started a fascination with dice: The center of several games of chance. I thought about using Mellow Dice as more of a joke now and then, but then I came up with the final piece. This may not work for everyone but it worked for me. Say Mellow Dice. Out loud. Now say it faster. Faster. As fast as you can. I don't know about you, but to me it sounded like I was saying, "Melodious." And that's when I changed the name from Melodic Euphoria, to Melodious Euphoria. And that's the origin of the nickname, "Mellow Dice."

No comments:

Post a Comment